Thursday 20 December 2012

Mmmm.....Mead

One of the benefits of keeping bees is that you get to make your own mead. One pound of honey makes about two pints but this would be a waste of good honey. Instead I use the wax cappings that are left over following honey extraction. These are washed in hot water to remove the residual honey in the wax and filtered to leave a dark sugary solution. I then check the specific gravity with a hydrometer and add more water if necessary. Some lemon juice and yeast nutrient is then added, followed by a wine yeast. Then you wait.....
Mead gets better with age but I'm too impatient to leave it for 2-3 years. In fact I'm down to my last bottle of last years vintage which I'm now enjoying with some mince pies.


Mmmm...Merry Christmas!

Do you like mead? Let me know by clicking on the appropriate button below. Don't forget to click continue so your response gets registered. I'll publish the results next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments